In-state college tuition is only for “true” state residents

I quick note to prospective college students and their parents:

I was asked about a myth regarding students qualifying for in-state tuition rates when they go to school out of state. The MYTH is that if a student goes to an out-of-state school for 1-2 years (the typical school residency period), they become a resident for the purposes of receiving in-state tuition at public universities.  This appears to be FALSE!

It is true that there is usually a 1-2 year consecutive period that a person must live in a particular state in order to become a resident for the purposes of in-state tuition.  HOWEVER, the general rule is that IF the person attends school full-time during any quarter or semester in the 1-2 year period, they are a NON-resident and do NOT qualify for in-state tuition.

If you’re thinking about having the student live with Grandma in the state of University X for a year to qualify, think again.  I’ve also read rules that stipulate that prospective students who are dependents (which most kids are) of non-residents (like their parents living in another state) are also NON-residents, regardless of their stay in the new state.

It appears that loopholes are hard to come by for in-state tuition to those who are not residents of a state for any other purpose besides school.  Given that college tuition is expensive (but worth it), you’d better start saving today.

Author: Ward Williams

Ward is an independent financial advisor at Better Tomorrow Financial. He started working as an independent investment advisor in 2009.

One thought on “In-state college tuition is only for “true” state residents”

Leave a Reply